Incorporating leveraging Technical Standards into an early-stage technology company’s business/strategic planning can provide a significant benefit because successful Technical Standards enable the growth of a large market.
Examples include 802.3 Ethernet, 802.11 Wireless LANs (aka Wi-Fi), and Cable Modems Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS), and even nascent Quantum Computing Standards.
Our discussion focuses on some of the following questions.
- What is a technical standard? How is one started? How long does it take to finish? How much resource is needed to be an active participant in developing one?
- Why is complying with or engaging in the development of a technical standard important to a business opportunity?
- How does an entrepreneur incorporate them into their business or strategic planning process?
- How is intellectual property in a standard licensed?
- What are the risks, rewards, and value proposition of driving/complying with technical standards?
- Examples of how technical standards are important to the success of technology.