IEEE Entrepreneurship Tunisia Workshop
30 August – 01 September 2022
Location: Ramada Plaza Tunis, Les Cotes de Carthage, Gammarth, Tunisia
IEEE Entrepreneurship, in collaboration with the Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA), plans to conduct a 3-day entrepreneurship workshop for enthusiastic university-level (undergraduate/postgraduate and doctoral) STEM students from 30 August to 01 September 2022.
The workshop theme is to create innovative technology solutions that can convert into business cases while addressing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The emphasis will be on innovative technical solutions and business models to ensure access to all potential market segments.
Approximately 50 participants will caucus, network, and form project teams to develop innovative ideas to meet market needs related to the SDGs.
Speakers and mentors, who have boots-on-the-ground experience as entrepreneurs, will train the participants.
The teams will develop ideas into technically feasible solutions, prepare business cases, and pitch presentations. The judges will select the top team and provide feedback on each pitch.
Further program details are coming soon!
- Scientists and engineers as entrepreneurs
- Opportunity and value assessment
- Intellectual property (IP)
- Business Model and Business Plan fundamentals
- Marketing and Value Proposition for Customers
- Technology readiness levels
- Invention to product: timelines and processes
- Tools for financial estimations
- Networking, communication, and presentation skills
- Access to finance
- Case studies and group projects.
- 23 August – Virtual Participant Pre-Workshop Meeting from 5:00 PM
- 24 – 29 August – Projects Developments
- 30 August – 01 September – Workshops from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- 06 September – Virtual Tutorial Session for Presentations from 5:00 PM
- 13 September – Winning Team Announced – Virtual Feedback Session from 5:00 PM
This workshop will take place at Ramada Plaza Tunis, Les Cotes de Carthage, Gammarth, 2070 Tunis, Tunisie, from 30 August to 01 September 2022.
The workshop will run approximately 8 hours each day. Prior to these in-person sessions, two mandatory online preparatory sessions for all participants will take place on 16 August and 23 August from 17:00 – 19:00 (Tunisia time). A post-workshop, an online follow-up session, will be held on 06 September. The deadline to submit business pitch videos is 08 September. Winners will be announced along with feedback to all teams in a final online session on 13 September between 17:00 – 18:00 (Tunisia time).
Participants are expected to bear their own travel expenses to the venue of the workshop. However, a few need-based partial travel grants may be available from IEEE and SmartAfrica for deserving IEEE members for the workshop. Please indicate your need in the application.
- Mondher Khanfir | WIKI START-UP
- Janati Nakimera | Solar net metering Uganda Ltd
- David Sample | Global Sales and Marketing Executive
- Surya Raghu | Advanced Fluidics
- Ken Stauffer | 2022 Immediate Past Chair, IEEE Entrepreneurship
Participation Eligibility Information
This workshop is open to all enthusiastic university-level (undergraduate/postgraduate and doctoral) STEM students. This event is for those who have a high motivation for becoming technical entrepreneurs (technopreneurs). Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The selection of candidates will be based on their technology background and also their strong motivation to become entrepreneurs. Applications for participation in the workshop are no longer open.