2020 | IEEE/ACM INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SOFTWARE ENGINEERING: NEW IDEAS AND EMERGING RESULTS (ICSE-NIER)
Seoul, South Korea
2020 May 23 – 29
ICSE’s New Ideas and Emerging Results (NIER) track provides a forum for innovative, thought-provoking research in software engineering with the goal of accelerating the exposure of the community to disruptive innovations that challenge the status quo of the software engineering discipline or early, yet promising and potentially inspiring research efforts. Read More.
Call for Papers
The New Ideas and Emerging Results (NIER) track at ICSE provides a vibrant forum for forward-looking, innovative research in software engineering. Our aim is to accelerate the exposure of the software engineering community to early yet potentially ground-breaking research results, or to techniques and perspectives that challenge the status quo in the discipline. To broadly capture this goal, NIER 2020 will publish the following types of papers.
- Visionary forward-looking research: exciting new directions or techniques that may have yet to be supported by solid experimental results, but nonetheless supported by strong and well-argued scientific intuitions.
- Thought-provoking reflections: bold and unexpected results and reflections that can help us look at current research directions under a new light, calling for fundamentally new directions for future research.
A NIER track paper is not just a scaled-down version of an ICSE full research track paper. NIER track is reserved for first-class, top-quality technical contributions. Therefore, a NIER submission is neither an ICSE full research track submission with weaker or no evaluation, nor an op-ed piece advertising for existing and already published results. Authors of such submissions should instead consider submitting to either the main track or one of the many satellite events of ICSE.
Each submission will be reviewed and evaluated in terms of the following quality criteria:
- Value: whether the problem is worth exploring;
- Impact: the potential for disruption of current practice;
- Soundness: the validity of the rationale;
- Quality: the overall quality of the paper’s writing